Friday, May 24, 2013

City of Perth international squash challenge 2013

24.05.2013, 4.10pm



In this beatiful city of Perth I kick off my Australian tour this year, starting the tournament today at 8pm against a qualifyer. The matches have been played, but I do not know still who I will be playing. So far preperations have been good but the time difference still lingers in the body a little. This will hopefully not have too big of an effect on my match which is on quite late. Looking forward to a good match and playing well.

10.13pm

First round out of the way with a comfortable 3-0 win. I played a young australian kid called Rohan, who dispatched 2 of my 3 room mates in the 2 previous tournaments. Since I am an Avenger (Thor) I knew what needed to be done.
As always, the first match holds some tension to it, but my game plan was clear and I knew my opponent well. I hit the ball well, veried the pace well and thought I constructed the rallies and the games good. My forehand and my serves could be better, but with 3 unforced errors throughout the match I cant be too displeased. Next battle is on tomorrow at 2pm local time

26.05.2013, 10.15 am

Sorry for the late update folks, but the pirate internet we are using at the hotel is not working too well, so I am updating from the squashclub on my computer today instead.
My second round match was as said against Matias Tuomi of Finland. He's a quick and experienced player who has been around for a while. I have played him quite a few times and know I can beat him if I play well.
My tactics were good in the first games, but my shots did not live up to the plan, so I lost the first game 4-11 and the second one 7-11. I was not worried though, as I now started hitting the ball well. I took the third game, feeling well in control and playing descently. I continued the same style of play in the 4th, keeping in lead and in control up until 10-7 and gameball for me. Here is where you juniors should sharpen your ears. A classic mistake was done by me as I was already laying down the tactics for the 5th game. I was so in control I could not lose this. People have recovered from worse deficits before. 4 points was not that much. A few mistakes by the referee and a few tactically poor desicions from me was all it took. I lost the match in 4, devastated with losing a match I really wanted to win.

But a massive positive to take from this, that I also hoped for before I started this tournament, was that for the first time in my life, I am actually playing squash in a PSA. I have been on court in many PSA's but none of it can really be called squash. Now I am competing, and playing well (at least in patches) and making these boys run for their money. Even though I am playing well (for my level) it still does not mean I will win it all. And there are many close opponents around, Matias being one of them. I am happy I am in Australia and playing 4 consecutive tournaments, where I can come back next weekend, and hopefully produce better results.

Next up: Kalgoorlie

No comments:

Post a Comment