Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Barossa Valley Toyota Open 2013

05.05.2013, 1.10pm

After driving through endless vineyards yesterday evening, we finally arrive at our Motor Lodge in Tanunda, a small town in the middle of one of Australias biggest wine districts. With the charm and qualities of a small town, I feel right at home (:P) Hoping for less exploding taxis than in Kalgoorlie (my fb friends knows about my near death experience)

The qualification draw starts tomorrow, and I will be playing Tom de Mulder of Belgium in the main draw Friday. We used to train a bit together in Amsterdam a while ago, and I know him quite well. A quality attacking player, that will set up a quality challenge for me first round.


07.05.2013, 21.23 pm

It was 6 lets on 0-0. That set the standards for the rest of the match that lasted 60 minutes. I did enough running maybe worth 1 game. The referee did his best, but did not, unfortunatelly, understand some of the more complicated concepts of the professional game. I did the best I could and still played well when there was balls to play, but sadly there were not many. I felt in control the entire match, and winning points by putting together good rallies. my length could be better in the beginning, but that resolved quickly. My opponent did not score many points, but was awarded a lot of points from the referee, as I was given no lets as my line to the ball was prevented time and time again.

I saw from the beginning what sort of match this turned out to be, so I kept my calm as best possible, as I saw the referee did not catch up on what was going on. I was amazed how close the games were still, and I even got a game. It only shows how well I played really, and the fact that I was able to keep my cool throughout the match is a very positive thing I need to bring with me.

I lost in 4, but very happy with my mental strength and squash performance. In 10 years, a match has been given away like this against me, so hopefully it will not happen again in a while. A little bitter to miss out on good ranking points, but in the end the squsah is what matters.

In my next tournament, I will play JP Brits of South Africa, who is a good and fair player. I am really looking forward to playing some good matches in my last tournament of the Aussie tour, that so far has been very successful.







No comments:

Post a Comment