Saturday, April 26, 2014

Return of the Kim and Tromsø Open 2014

Killingberg is back!
I had 4 weeks of training to catch up 6 months of descending form. At that point it seemed like an impossible task, but I knew I had all the qualities in me. Even though I was never closer to throw away my rackets and say “Im done with this shit”. I convinced myself to get my life back on track first, before making any such decisions. Wise man…

Ive had 3 weeks of good training now, and I am happy to say I am fit, motivated and playing better than I have been playing since July 2013. I don’t know if I am back on that form yet, but I am not far away. I still lack the tournament experience and so this weekend I am travelling further north than ever before to puzzle the last pieces together before the European Championship. The shots and the fitness is there. Now I need to get into tournament mode, practice my preperations, handling nerves, adjusting to hotel food, sleeping away from home, tactics and mental strength.

If Brian Phillips will forward my words of wisdom to the juniors on this bit, the message is as following:
Staying in the own comforts of your home, eating your own food, planning your own days and competing in a known and safe environment spoils you. And yes, you can play your best squash, because you are mentally and physically best prepared. You play an opponent you have played hundreds of times before and you know his game in and out. There are no referees, crowd and you know the courts and the conditions.
Experience is adapting as best possible to all these factors when you are competing somewhere else. The further away from home you go, the more prepared you need to be. Competing in your own country means you can still find the food you are used to, but you might need to sleep on a couch, in a hotel, on a squash court or an air matress. How do you play squash when you are sleep deprived? The courts are colder than you are used to, is your warm up routine adapted to this? Is there even room to warm up anywhere? You need to relate to a referee that barely know what squash is (a standard squash referee) an opponent who is not as fair as your normal training partner and a crowd that are cheering not only for your opponent, but against you. The court has a different bounce and the air is drying up your throat. Got to be prepared kids. There are many tips I can give to help prepare for these things, but I don’t feel like writing it all. We start with one today. A tip given to me by a good friend and squash player Steve Finitsis. To adjust to the court you are playing one, during warm up on court you find your spot on the front wall where you need to hit to hit that perfect 2nd bounce in the back” dying length. I think that’s a good start J
Now, with that being said, that small digression there, this is why I travel to Tromsø this weekend to play a tournament that might not give me the highest quality matches, but to get into the tournament routine again. Personally I have struggled with over/under adrenalization. I need to fine tune that balance. I need to adapt to hotel sleep and food. I need to get into the system to adapt tactics towards different squash players and to deal with difficult opponents. I need to get “practice mode” out of the system
Plus, I have heard great things about Tromsø as a city and the squash enthousiasm in the city lead by Wiggo Olsen and Hans Christian Ribe. The boys in Tromsø are doing a superb job with sponsors, media, service and the overall tournament experience. In addition to this I am bringing my mum up as well for some quality time on her birthday J Looking forward to it!!!!








What happened?

I won the tournament without dropping a game, and I am very happy with my mental preparation and general professional attitude throughout the tournament. The adrenalization was balanced, and I pushed my gameplan hard down anyone I faced on the opposite end of the court. Which means all points made against me this weekend was well deserved.
I really enjoyed the entire tournament and the setting they have up here. The tournament organizors do a superb job in arranging and hosting this event. By far the most hospitable and enjoyable tournament to play in Norway at this moment.
Thanks a lot to the tournament sponsors (who really help a lot), Wiggo, Hans Christian, Tromsø squashklubb, the volunteers and the crowd who made a great atmosphere. I will return. The sky is the limit boys.

Peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment