Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ramada Hotel Squash Open 2012

Day 1
Its time for my first tournament in Qatar after my move to Doha. Ever since Monday this week (3 days ago) 102 people (!) have been competing at the luxurious Ramada hotel, just a short walk away from my residence here in Doha.

The professional class did not start until today, and I was last on court for the day against a Pakistani shotmaker. 50% of his points were from nickshots, like expected I would say, playing these players, but today he was no match versus the Norwegian "headless chicken style" I got away winning 3-0.

Day 2

Found out the tournament is actually called Radisson Blu Olympic Sports Open. Which is interesting, since it is not an olympic sport yet. But maybe it has something to do with the Olympic campaign.

 















After passing the singing fountain, passing the chinese gardens and the pools, the squash courts are located next to a nice Italian restaurant called "The Italian Job" I will come back to that one later ;)
 
I arrive at the squash courts 30 minutes early for my semi final, and see I will be playing Azlan, one of the most talented Aspire boys. We have been training together briefly at the Aspire Academy, so I knew what to expect.
3 tight games later I walked away with the match 3-0, 11-9, 11-9, 11-5
An ok performance, but still need to be more diciplined under pressured situations.
After the match a man comes up to me. "you're not playing that well. You played much better last year"
This was Azlans father who saw me play in Khalifa stadium  some time ago. So I guess my game is still on its way down, and have not turned around yet. But I feel I am on the right way, and once I am more comfortable with my hitting I think I will ascend faster than my descent. 


After winning the semi finals, I celebrate with an Italian Job pizza. AaVeeryy AAniice Luiigii!!!



 
 

 Day 3:

I HATE LOSING!!

Doesn't matter how much I tell myself that its not important, just play for fun, no pressure etc etc
Big or small tournament, world champion opponent or club player. It always sucks.

Today I played the former Qatari no1. I was told by other people that he was a fast player with good shots and a strong backhand. He was more steady than I expected and made few errors. I had my gameplan, and even though I reminded myself after every ball, after midway I tensed up and threw in the boast to open up the court and lose the rally. This has been my biggest problem before, and it is back to haunt me. I think now that it is because I tense up too much

However there is a positive side to it, and that is that what I am focusing on at the moment is improving. I probably focused more on my technique than for my own good while I was playing, but it felt better than before

Oh, and by the way, I lost 1-3.
But the best player won, no excuses

Today we celebrate with leftovers....

No comments:

Post a Comment