Monday, September 9, 2013

RESULTS and Comments, European Individual Closed Squash Championships 2013

Draw: http://www.toernooi.nl/sport/draw.aspx?id=C2866472-4AFE-4713-97E5-59ADC7CD538A&draw=1

After a tour around Amsterdam, the Norwegian delegation arrived in Haag to pick me up before we headed to "Casa ter Sluis in Breda, where we were housed for the week. Breda is approximately 1 hour away from Herentals where the tournament was held this year, and Marjolein, Marc and Tessa were great hosts for the vikings the whole week, cooking, cleaning and serving our every need throughout the week ;)


 With 4 people in the attic, and 2 of them running a nightly nasal cavity marathon, there was no sleep to get the first night. After a good start in the morning where Sindre beat his russian opponent in the morning, I was up against Gregoire Marche of France in my first round.

I was unlucky enough, just to drop out of the seedings. This meant I would have to face one of the big guns in my first match. This player is ranked 160 spots over me on the ranking at 30. This is a significant difference, and I really needed to play out of my skin to perform well. My gameplan was set early, and agreed upon by the coach. In the first few games I saw that the gameplan was not working well, as Marche was to quick on the ball. If I am not in control, it is hard to maintain gameplan. So before the third game, me and coach Mark decided on a new gameplan. This one proved more effective, but the difference in level was too great in the end, and I lost 3-0. I was still happy with the way I played in the end, as I can see that I can still play with these boys and make them run for their money. My hitting is more consistent, mental toughness is present and I am starting to move better again.

 Sindre is showing his happy face after the first Norwegian win of the tournament :D
















 Lotte also started of with a strong win after a macarena warm up. She beat up and coming Belgian national champion Nele Gilis in a tough 4 setter, setting her up for the quarter finals against the winner of the tournament Camille Serme.


On the second day of play I faced Mark Burke from Belgium. An experienced player with a good reportoar of shots. I found it hard to step up the pace against a player who slowed it down a bit more. This was the only match this tournament I did not play well at all, and my focus was a bit all over the place. The score in the end was 11-9, 9-11, 12-10, 12-10, and a good sesison to work on playing big points, which Mark (coach) is stressing a lot. A sweaty encounter in 40 degrees heat, running around a squash court makes one tired. So chilling on the grass outside in the shadow is not such a bad idea :))

Sindre played world no18 LJ Anjema is a battle of the giants on court 8. This was a tough, but fun experience for the Norwegian Rolls Royce (Roaldsøy in english), ending in a 3-0 loss.


In my second round of the plate I got a bye (walkover) as the czech player pulled out from the tournament. This set up a meeting with old nemesis Rene Mijs from the Netherlands. We had some hard fought matches is the past, and I knew exactly what he was capable of. I felt a hunger to avenge my poor play the other day, and i came out blazing in the first 2 games. I dont think I ever played better, taking the games 11-6, 11-7 (I think). Then in the next games something happened as I felt all my balls were landing around the middle, and I twitched as I went for quick winners. Mark noticed that my opponent stepped further up on the T, taking away my sense of control in the game. This totally changed the pattern of the game, and probably experience from Rene's side, as he took the next 2 games. We were tied at 2-2. In the fifth game, I had a terrible start as the referees gave away 5 quick points in strokes and no lets I did not agree with. Then my opponent hit the joint between the front wall and side wall twice, making the ball die and drop dead on the spot. This was 7 points....of 11!!! Even if I played well and hung in as well as I could, it was not enough, and I lost 11-6. :(((((




With Sindres heavy legs he was not able to pull another win in the tournament, but gaining xp points like a rookie dwarf in WOW.

Lotte was unlucky to lose a tough 4 setter against Czech no1 Lucie Fialova but redeemed herself, chopping down Frenchie Maud Duplomb 3 games to 0 ending on a strong 7th place.

In my last match I was set up against Marc ter Sluis. Good friend, training partner, and room mate for the week. During training, we always play for coffee. The loser has to pay. This was no exception and so the loser had to pay the winner a coffee of choice at the place of choice. The contract was signed and sealed, and the trash talk began as usual on twitter 24 hrs before the match.

Marc has improved a lot lately and just the week before he beat me in a training match. He has cut down his error rate and starting to structure his squash better. I knew I had to play my best to win it. All games were hard fought, and neither of us did much wrong as we had long testing rallies up and down the walls. At the very end it seemed like Marc slightly ran out of juice as I could maintain the tempo for a little longer. This kept me ahead on the points and I rushed to the service box after every ball. I took the last game to deserve my coffee, but it was a good battle. #cappucinosquash

After the last match of the day we had a small dinner at the club (not allowed to take big portions, as there was not enough food) me and Marc had to prepare for a new tournament in Zoetermeer Netherlands. This is a 1 day tournament where you play up to 4 matches in one day. I was 1. seed and drew in the quarter finals the Dutch no1 who ended 7th in the EICC. Losing 3-1 after maintaining my good play, and missed out on good PSA points and next weeks food money :P




No comments:

Post a Comment