Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Reflections of a mediocre squash player

Once closing in on the end of ones carreer I guess its normal to reflect over what you have achieved and experienced over this significant period in ones life.

I have been fortunate enough to get trained by legends of the sport like Geoff Hunt (need no introduction), Liz Irving (Australian hall of fame, world champion and coach of legend Nicol David) and Mark Hornby (Nick Matthews coach for many years)

I moved to the Netherlands where I got to train amongst great players like Nicol David, Cameron Pilley, Laurens Jan Anjema, Sebastiaan Weenink, Piedro Schweertman, Aisling Blake, Steve Finitsis, Line Hansen and Paul Coll to mention a few.

I fought my way up to the top in Norwegian squash, and went undefeated for 4 year, capping 4 individual national titles. With 6 national team titles it makes a total of 10 national championchips.

I represented Norway for 8 years, 6 of them as no1, junior and senior. As a team we got 2 European medals. One bronze and one silver (in 3d division). I ended 19 in the European championship 3 years in a  row, so I guess that is nothing but stable.

One of my biggest goals was to beat the best Swedish player (because they're Swedish). A far fetched goal was to beat the entire Swedish team, because they were always several levels above us. Still, in Prague for the European Club Championships I/We ticked those two boxes off. With a 3-1 win over the Swedish no1 and national champ Romain Tenant (PSA 60), it was the deciding match in our victory as we lost 2 matches 2-3 and won the last one 3-2.

I got to travel the world an play all over Australia, Asia, Europe and the USA. I've played countless European championships, 3 individual World Championships (Manchester, Doha and Rotterdam) and even played squash in Tromsø :P

I've played the greats like Peter Barker, Simon Parke, Daryl Selby, Derek Ryan and Simon Røsner (lost them all. Got 1 game in total. hohoho ;)

I have filled up my facebook friend list by 300%

Geoff Hunt knocked my teeth out in Qatar

I was almost killed by an aboriginal in Kalgoorlie Australia

Ive messed up my teeth, left ankle, right ring finger, right knee, right low back, right shoulder and left wrist because of this great sport

I regret nothing

1 comment:

  1. Very significant Information for us, I have think the representation of this Information is actually superb one. This is my first visit to your site. Massage Kalgoorlie

    ReplyDelete