Thursday, January 24, 2013

Norwegian national closed squash championships 2013

The draw:

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=6D2CD24A-188E-4643-B2AE-C2A9070ED21B&draw=3

I am first seed in the tournament, and therefore receive a bye in my first match in this 64 draw. In total I will play 5 matches, starting Friday evening I think The times are not up yet for the matches, but I hope they will be shortly.

Thursday 24.1, 09.22am: Left early for the airport as I expected busy trains and planes, and boy was I right. Complete chaos, but luckily everything left on time, and I am at the gate waiting for my flight that leaves at 10.30. There was also a reason for booking a flight this early as the tournament does not start until tomorrow. This way, I would still have a buffer if something happens, unlike my trip last weekend. I am looking to have a hit at the glasscourt today, before I get settled in the appartment and picking up my girlfriend later tonight from the trainstation.

Friday 25.1, 15.22
Had a good hit yesterday at the glasscourt. Girlfriend arrived safe and sound. Appartment located and  successfully moved into. Carbing up!! All on schedule.





We were so lucky to rent an appartment for 5 days for 320 euros. Big appartment, centrally in Oslo, 1 km from the squashcentre, with all facilities inclusive. Big bathroom, bedroom and a balcony....for the same price as 2 nights in a hotel.. I dont get it, but I am not complaining.

We are now off to have a hit before the tournament starts at 5, since I am not playing until 9pm tonight.

Saturday 26.1, 11.38
Womens final in Australian open Tennis is underway. I finished a good breakfast and rested well after a late evening yesterday. My match was on at 9pm, and was my first match of the tournament. My opponent, my good friend from Stavanger, Morten Voll, played 9 games earlier in the day to get to this stage, poor thing. My legs were fresh and feeling good ;)

The first game was as always a bit edgy as it is the first match of the tournament. I did not really stick to gameplan, but still managed to take the game 11-9.
The following games, I did what I planned to do and took the following 11-0, 11-5.
It was a good game to start the tournament with, as Morten is a good player I have trained with for many years. I knew I had to stay sharp and play well to get through, and I am satisfyed with my game and focus level after the first game.

Today I will either play a talented junior or an experienced veteran. We are on at 13.40 ;)

Monday 28.01, 13.51
Like always, I am too slow in updating my blog regularly, and my blogger app on my phone is being a female dog, so I apologize for not updating well enough.

On the Saturday I ended up playing Trym from Bærum in the morning, who had a great win over experienced veteran Rashid Younis earlier in the day. I wanted to watch Trym play this year after hearing a lot of him, and so it was even better to be able to play him myself. This young one matched me as well as any other player in this tournament and showed great racketskill, court coverage and great will. I think I was not as used to playing on the glass court as me, but he still played some great squash. Not an easy game for sure and glad to pull through 3-0.

My next match a few hours earlier was with my old colleague, trainingpartner and coach Audun Thronæs. We always play well together and it was a fair, honest and good game of squash. In the first I was allowed to control the T more and Audun had to cover a lot of court, making his puls jump and draining his energy. I kept playing well in the second game, but in the third he improved his width and length. I stepped slightly off the T and found myself 7-10 down. I really didnt want to lose that game... I didnt want to lose any game and spend extra time on court, so I pulled myself together, extended the rallies and took the last game 15-13 in the end. Very happy with 3-0 after a good match.

In the evening I enjoyed a nice dinner with my family who came to surprise me and support me and girlfriend at the Hard Rock cafe (where I always feel at home ;), and had a good nights rest.

In the semi finals I faced old nemesis Hans Olav Torgersen, who won here in 2009 and was 2-0 up here against me 2 years ago, when I won it 3-2. He is probably the best tournament player in the country, but I have a great winning record against him in tournaments.

Unfortunately for both, neither of us played our best squash this match, and it was, to be honest, poor and scrappy squash that was eventually won by me 3-0

I knew this had to impprove dramatically for the final against Kristian. The norwegian ranked no1 who breezed through the 3d seed 3-0, with hardly losing points.

Amir Dad is a squashfanatic who works hard to promote the sport in Norway and assembled a TV production team for pre and post Match interviews along with full HD match coverage. They are looking to sell the finished product to a TV station.

Before the match I had my interview conserning expectations and preperations. Just before the match, I am already warmed up and getting pumped up with some killin tunes from my Sennheisers. I was as ready as I could be. I was feeling fresh, and was looking to improve my squash drastically from the semi finals.

The first game was close all the way towards the finish line. Kristian volleyd just about everything and I kept my role as a retriever throughout the game it seemed like. Kristian did not really finish the rallies, and we both made a few mistakes....him more than me it seemed as I eventually took the game with the bare minimum of 2 points.

The second game, I stuck to my gameplan as I did not think Kristian could keep up the same volleying game as he did in the first. I kept it tight, closed down the court and took the opportunities when they came. I quicly saw myself 9-1 up. A slight dip in focus gave him a few more points, but in no real danger, a tight backhand length sealed the game. 2-0 for me

The third game, was much like the first although we both stepped up the court and volleyed more. We both wanted control of the T area and gave nothing for free. There were a few heated desicions, some lets, some good rallies, some nerves and in the end, at 10-8 for me, there were 4-5 lets and in the end a stroke for me on match ball. Too bad to take the last ball on a stroke (like last year) but I will take it. I have no nerve for another 5 game thriller.

Relieved to get my 4th consecutive national title...and veryvery HAPPY



My gratitude goes to my girlfriend/coach, Oslo squash, Nina, Gitte, Tournament sponsors, NSqF, Wenaas sport, Dunlop, Asics, Røynstrand entrepenør, Mum and to all my friends and family for the support. Thank you all!!!

This title is dedicated to a dear friend and family member Bård Henriksen, who has been a great support and a great friend throughout my career. He was himself a top athlete, top10 in the world in ice skating.
We all think we go through tough times until we see someone who really does. My thoughts go to him and his close ones

The photos are taken by grand photographer chief Trond Ottesen


No comments:

Post a Comment