Thursday, January 17, 2013

Squash memories pt.3: Meeting the queen

In 2009 I moved to Amsterdam to pursuit a career in physiotherapy and squash. In search for facilities and a club to play in, I started off looking at Amstelpark, where there are around 9 courts in a massive facility. I got a meeting with the local coach, who is now a great friend of mine: Annelize Naude, aka, DJ Nudie. We started training together and I played for her team in Dutch league. The women's team played top division, and this team consisted amongst others of my future girlfriend Cigany Sillevis and the not so famous Nicol David, 7 times world champion and world number one for 23 years in a row or so.

Annelize introduced me to Nicol the first time at squash city, where the professional girls train with Liz Irving. We met up on a Friday afternoon for some round robin squash matches. I arrived 15 min late after getting lost in Amsterdam on my bike...... I was looking forward to playing Nicol naturally. I think all guys can imagine the feeling, when you compete with a woman with mad skills in any sport. You know you're gonna get whhhhhhopped.....It's just how much its going to hurt your pride. I had all the respect in the world for this small bouncy Malaysian thing.

The thing I remember most of all from this meeting was during the "knock up" as we call it, where we hit crosscourt volleys to eachother to warm up the ball. I had already been hitting a squash ball for 7 years, but it didnt look like that at all. First ball: frameshot, second ball: frameshot in the floor, third ball: frameshot. When the ball came my direction the 4th time, I literally took it with my left hand, and threw it like a girl to the other side of the court.




This little thing has burned itself into my memory, and I don't think I will ever forget it. Now, 4 years later, I can safely say this woman is partially human. Apart from superhuman skills on a squash court, she is a great personality that is great to be around both on and off the squashcourt. We have been training partners for a long time now. Our first 10 encounters all ended 3-2, and off all encounters, I'm sure 70% of them have been 3-2's, and I am convinced we had one single rally that lasted over 4 minutes once.
Honestly, no one can drain me physically more than Nicol. We always have great matches and train well together. At the moment she is helping me prepare for my nationals as she just came home from winning her 7th World open title and her 2nd Super Series trophy. We played yesterday, and guess what the score was? yuuuurp: 3-2, in 80 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment