Monday, January 21, 2013

The preperations pt3: Nidaros Open

After 1 hr flight delay due to leaking aircraft, 1 missed plane, 1 extra stopover, and 45 min wait for luggage after technical problems, I was 2 hours late for my first match in Nidaros Open 2013.
This tournament is played in my hometown, Trondheim, at the squash centre where I started to play squash.


Coming late, I literally had to play 2 matches in a row. First one being good friend and president of the squash club, Øystein Kolstad, who has a previous norwegian gold medal in gymnastics. Ever improving, and enjoyable to play. Final score 3-0.

Next match up was the big talent in this club, Erik Holden, who trains hard and seriously. He clearly prepared well and had a clear gameplan and focus. However, the final score was 3-1 for me.

The following day was the semi finals, where I faced Vidar Iversen, who played the finals of the national student championships. It is always good to see these boys improve. However, a few too many unforced errors gave me enough points to sneak away with 3 games to 1.

Next up was the final versus the grand squash hero in Trondheim and the man to beat, Øyvind Salvesen. And he is indeed grand, with a very different style of play than me. He hits the ball very well, while I am more a physical player trying to push the tempo from the beginning, making him move. I did not start any of the games well, and small lapses in concentration gave away too many points for my liking. The rallies were quite short, which suited him more, but I managed to pull myself together towards the end of the games to take them 11-9, 11-9, 11-5.

Throughout the weekend, I struggled to push hard and keep my focus up. It is important that I can get that back for next weekend. There are many matches to be played and I need to use as little time as possible on court.

I am feeling that I am shaking the cold off, I rid the flu, my dead calf from doubles is healing and my ankle is still under my knee somewhere and pose not too many problems anymore.

Couple days of rest, some good training. Then its action time!!!

Take off for the nationals is Thursday morning. Play will start Friday afternoon :) Looking forward to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment